“It’s getting out of hand” – Baltimore Sun

On a busy Saturday night at the Inner Harbor over Memorial Day weekend, crowds of people enjoying a warm evening downtown began running frantically for cover after gunfire rang out sounded in the amphitheater area along the seafront promenade.

Two teenage victims were hospitalized and one later died, police said. They were both 17, a boy named Neal Mack who was pronounced dead and a girl who was in stable but serious condition hours after the shooting, according to Baltimore police. The violence continued as two more men were killed in a triple shootout later Saturday night and a woman was fatally shot early Sunday. A 15-year-old boy shot dead later Sunday morning is in stable condition.

The double shooting in Inner Harbor was reported around 7:35 p.m. in the 300 block of East Pratt Street. Casings were visible scattered around the brick amphitheater. Police quickly cordoned off the area with yellow tape criss-crossing the walkway which would typically be crowded with tourists and families.

Speaking at the scene Saturday night, Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said officers working downtown heard the gunshots and ran towards them, located the victims within seconds and started to help.

He said the shooting followed some sort of confrontation in the area and one or more suspects fired. “It is unclear if either victim was targeted,” he said. Police were also unsure whether the two victims were together or had a connection other than being in the area when the confrontation unfolded.

The shooter or shooters fled the scene and remained on the run late Saturday night, Harrison said.

“Once again, it’s an unnecessary tragedy that has happened. It’s about young people carrying guns and using them in crowds,” Harrison said. have a complete disregard for human life and a total disrespect for law enforcement. … It’s not only shocking but frustrating and annoying.

Harrison said about 20 Baltimore police officers were in the area when the shooting unfolded, as part of a Memorial Day weekend deployment strategy that will continue through Monday. But the commissioner also noted that more officers alone would not be enough to stop gun violence, as Saturday night’s shooting demonstrated.

“It’s about them doing this in front of the police,” he said. “So it’s a bigger conversation than deployment.”

A youth organization where the teenager worked as an intern wrote on an Instagram post that the organizers are “angry, shocked and deeply saddened” by his death.

“Neal was a funny young man, a leader,” reads the message from the Tendea family, a grassroots organization that works with children on neighborhood improvement projects.

“Yes, Neal was stubborn, sometimes bad-tempered and had trouble finding his way like most teenagers, but he had great potential. He told his dreams, he took responsibility for his mistakes and although he seemed tough, underneath was a genuine, sensitive and loving young man if you won his trust.

The boy had spoken with members of the organization just hours before his death, the post said.

“As we reread our last conversation, we can’t help but think, ‘what more could Tendea have done?’ the post said. “We ran out of time.”

Three other people were shot dead in the city from Saturday evening to Sunday morning. A triple shooting in the Ellwood Park neighborhood of East Baltimore killed a 31-year-old man and a man whose age is unknown. Officers arrived around 10:50 p.m. at the 400 block of North East Avenue and found two men inside a car – the unidentified man who died at the scene and a 35-year-old man who received a shot in the leg and taken to hospital. . The 31-year-old man was nearby and was pronounced dead at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Rosalind Heywood, 69, was sitting on her front porch on North East Avenue chatting with several neighbors on Saturday night when she heard a rapid “pop, pop, pop” coming from a terrifying place nearby.

“I walk with a cane,” Heywood said, “But my legs can move when they have to, and they put me in this house. A ball doesn’t have anybody’s name on it, especially at this time of night. I lived in this neighborhood for years, and I’m sick of seeing so many people killed.

In a nearby house, someone had hung a handwritten sign in a window that read ‘Black Lives Matter’.

Maryland Transportation Authority police found a woman early Sunday morning who died from gunshot wounds inside a car in the south Baltimore neighborhood of Brooklyn. Baltimore paramedics arrived around 5:20 a.m. at the 3400 block of South Hanover Street and pronounced the woman dead at the scene.

The woman was killed just before dawn in a mostly industrial neighborhood that Drew Pumphrey, 46, says locals call “the Brooklyn Delta” because it often seems safe from the crime that surrounds it. On Sunday afternoon, a crowd of well-dressed revelers swarmed outside The Hanover bar and restaurant to celebrate the 50th anniversary, drinking beer and feasting on ribs.

Pumphrey, owner of The Hanover, heard the shooting took place in the nearby Park ‘N’ Ride parking lot.

“We rarely, if ever, have any problems,” he said, “but this Park ‘N’ Ride is woefully underutilized and aimed at some unsavory characters. I hate to say it, but 90% crimes here are targeted.Most of the victims are people in the game, in the drug trade.

“It’s disheartening because we’ve been trying to make some good changes in this neighborhood.”

A 15-year-old boy was shot in the body around 11:40 a.m. Sunday in the Berea neighborhood of East Baltimore. Emergency medical services took the teenager to hospital, where he is in stable condition. Police believe the shooting took place in the 1300 block of North Luzerne Avenue.

Hours later, the only visible sign of the shooting was the large jagged hole in the window of a small shop around the corner. It was almost as if a shark had taken a bite out of the glass plate. A chair in front of the window had been knocked over.

Wendy Thuku, 54, said it was the same corner where Dontae Breedon, 24, was shot on April 6.

It’s not uncommon to see drugs being sold on this street, she said, and some of the teenagers and young men involved in the business “have a big mouth about them”.

Thuku knows firsthand the consequences of gun violence. In 1974, when she was 6 years old, her mother was murdered two days before Christmas.

“Every day I pray for my children,” Thuku said. “By the grace of God, all four survived.”

Mayor Brandon Scott said in a statement that he was “disgusted that this scourge continues to grip our city.

“I will continue to push every public safety agency to do more, but it will also require all of us to collectively say enough is enough, that we are not going to condone or allow violence in our city. The mission to build a more Baltimore safe requires all of us to lean in because the stakes are too high and the need too urgent.

The shooting in Inner Harbor came as organizers of a festival celebrating Indian culture cleaned and dismantled their gear after hours of rejoicing at McKeldin Plaza, just across Light Street from the port. The Hare Krishna festival was over but several organizers were still in the area when the shots rang out.

A man said he heard the shots, looked up and saw a man with a gun. He said the shooter then pulled up his hood, climbed onto a dirt bike and drove away.

“People hit the bridge, some with young children, just hit the ground. Others were running,” the man said. He asked to remain anonymous out of concern for his safety.

Last minute alerts

As it happens

Get the latest news as it happens and find out about other must-see content with our free news alerts.

Police said investigators are still working to determine if the person fled on foot or via some sort of motorized vehicle.

“It’s getting out of control,” the witness said, adding that a family member had recently been the victim of a carjacking.

Another young woman, who identified herself as Lily, said she and her friends were sitting by the water when the shooting started right in front of them. After quickly realizing it wasn’t fireworks, they headed east on Pratt Street, she said.

Police kept the area cordoned off for hours on Saturday evening as crowds of people walked past the crime tape, some wondering aloud what was going on. Parents watched their children to make sure they didn’t accidentally stumble upon the crime scene. Couples dressed for dinner walked by holding hands and carrying leftovers. Children on dirt bikes sped through traffic.

Harrison said police knew many people witnessed the shooting, and he called on them to come forward and help detectives solve the case.

“We are counting on you,” he said.

Anyone with information relevant to this incident is asked to call detectives at 410-396-2411 or call Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7lockup. Anyone with information about the fatal shootings in the Fairfield area or the Barclay neighborhood is asked to call 410-396-2100 or Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7Lockup.

For memory

An earlier version of this story misidentified a neighborhood in which a shooting took place. Additionally, an earlier version of this story transposed the first and last name of Neal Mack, a 17-year-old boy killed Saturday at the Inner Harbor. The Sun regrets mistakes.