Hello everyone. Carlos Hernandez here with your new copy of the Tampa Daily, filled with everything you need to know about what’s happening locally. Here we are…
First, today’s weather forecast:
A heavy thunderstorm in the afternoon. High: 91 Low: 73.
Find out what our local sponsor can do for you:
Looking to buy or sell a luxury home in the Tampa area? Talk to Dan Kempka in Compass. Dan has extensive knowledge of the Tampa market and access to exclusive private listings in all neighborhoods in our area. To use its free home valuation tool or to sign up for notifications when new listings appear in your neighborhood, you can visit Dan here.
Click here to feature your business in this spot.
Here are the top five stories from today in Tampa:
1. The JAmpa Bay Lightning fell to a brutal 7-0 loss in Game 2 to the Colorado Avalanche on Saturday night in the fight for the Stanley Cup. The game was that of Vasilevskiy worst game of his career over 400 games. Game 3 is tonight at 7 p.m. EST. (ABC Action News)
2. The Tampa Bay Humane Society recently recorded a kitten found abandoned in double knotted grocery bag on the side of a busy highway. The kitten has since been named “Miracle”. Along with a serious upper respiratory infection, the kitten suffered from a parasitic disease called coccidia as well as roundworm and ringworm, but survived and has since been adopted thanks to the Humane Society. The non-profit association needs public support to continue this work. (Tampa Patch)
3. One A Pasco County man was arrested tuesday for riding his dirt bike on an airport tarmac at Zephyrhills, according to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. Deputies said 18-year-old Tony Coban admitted he was not supposed to be on the airstrip but said: ‘He wanted to enjoy the sun and the fresh air.” (WFLA)
4. The Lakeland Police Department has launched a investigation into death at Shoppes of Lakeland mall Sunday afternoon in North Lakeland. The officer said Sunday the death appeared to be a suicide. (WTSP)
5. Two Florida men have been charged with a federal hate crime for supposedly beat up a black man in a store parking lot in Citrus County while shout racial slurs. The US Department of Justice said Friday that Roy Lashley, 55, and Robert Lashley, 52, were indicted by a grand jury. (WFLA)
Help us improve this newsletter!
We’ve had so many positive comments on the Tampa Daily that we’re starting to get overwhelmed. Want to bring us back to earth with constructive feedback? If that is the case, take our simple – and fast! — reader survey. Your feedback will help us make sure we’re covering the kind of local news, events and gossip that really matters to you. And it will help us achieve our goal of being an indispensable local resource and the last email you unsubscribe from.
We would appreciate your feedback so much that if you complete the survey, we will enter your email address in a drawing for a little patch swag mountain. You know you want this tote bag – so click the link and give it to us direct. Thanks!
Today in Tampa:
- Dunkin’ offers Lightning fans a free donut with any beverage purchase. (all day)
- Mobile mammography bus offers mammograms at Y slots. (8:30 a.m.)
- Tampa EDITION – Hospitality Career Fair. (11 a.m.)
- Stanley Cup Finals pre-game special at the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Pool Bar. (5 p.m.)
- REI on tap at American Social Tampa. (5:30 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- The The 7th Annual Zephyrhills Summerfest Fireworks Show is Coming. There will be fun community contests including watermelon eating contests, dances for the kids, free raffles and free giveaways and all the DJ Express hits. (Tampa Bay Newswire)
- The Tampa Bay Stingrays suffered a 2-1 loss Sunday against the Orioles. In the last five losses, the Rays have scored a total of five races. (Subscription: Tampa Bay Weather)
- A A man from St. Petersburg was arrested Saturday morning after driving at 120 mph on I-275 in a 65 mph zone, according to an affidavit. Soldiers say the man nearly hit other drivers as he zoomed in. (WFLA)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Please follow and stay informed. See you soon!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello, my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the culinary blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contributes to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Got a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Daily? Contact me at SouthTampa@Patch.com